• Chinese
  • Arabic
  • Somali
  • Russian
  • Iran
  • Vietnam
  • Italian
  • Spanish

Problems with a local bar

All taverns or bars serving alcohol on their premises must have a license and must follow the rules and regulations set by the City of Ottawa By-Law Services and by the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO).

If a bar in your neighbourhood is not following the rules, it can become a big problem. A bad bar can be scary to you and to your neighbours because of excessive noise, fighting or irresponsible serving of alcohol. You can report that establishment to By-Law, the AGCO and the police, who will work together to deal with a problem establishment.

Make sure you make your report to the right place:

  • The City of Ottawa’s By-Law and Regulatory Services Branch deals with issues like noise violations and food vendor permits. By-Law will investigate noise complaints and can take action by approaching the alcohol license committee to have a liquor license taken away if the violations are repeated. You can report noise violations to By-Law by calling 3-1-1.
  • The AGCO can take away a liquor license for other violations like serving alcohol to minors. You can report this type of violation directly to the AGCO by calling 1-800-522-2876.
  • If there is a life-threatening emergency at an establishment, call 9-1-1 to inform police. If the situation is not an emergency, but you would like to report issues like fighting or the sex trade at an establishment, call the police at 613-236-1222, ext 7300.